November 30, 2008

Bob The Rooster

I recently had the pleasure of meeting our neighbors that live two fields NW of us. It all started in the voting booth (of all places). I was in the booth casting my vote and I heard this lovely sing-song voice talking about her beautiful THORNLESS berry bushes and how wonderful they did this season. I never circled that ballot so fast in my life! (I have been struggling to get my berries and grapes to flourish) I shoved that ballot into the machine and did an invisible sign of the cross. The woman (JB)and her husband (Robert) were getting ready to leave and I boldy said "wait! I need to know about your berries." Of course they looked at me like I was off my nut (most do at first) and I explained myself. We talked a bit and realized we were neighbors. Robert said, "well I don't suppose you like horseradish?" We were instant friends! I followed them to their place and my jaw dropped as I pulled into their drive. It's a magical homestead. A beautiful stand of trees line the north lot and the home is gently surrounded by ornamentals and flowers of all types. I couldn't help but think of the evoloution of The Olde Farmhouse and how I pictured it like this property a few years from now. (if I'm lucky!) I jumped out of the car and Robert was gathering the freshly picked horseradish for us. JB said, "Come and see my Rooster and Hens!" We walked over to the chicken coop and there was a magnificent rooster. JB said, "His name is Bob." For 3 years, as I gardened every morning, landscaped and worked on my stained glass I heard a rooster crow. I always wondered where he lived. I have finally met Bob The Rooster! He's very kind and gentle to his hens. We were formally introduced. With that JB took me on a tour of their home. She is a wonderful water color artist in her own right and she is in the process of building an art studio. I must admit I covet their ability to create such beauty and adapt their surroundings to their passions. We have so much in common! From our love of geo-thermo heat, our love of the land, critters, art, gourmet cooking, home decor and more, to our similar backgrounds we are really in sync. We did have one teeny-tiny difference....our politics! LOL! So, I believe if we leave our politics in the closet we will be fast and enduring friends. JB and Robert invited us to a wonder evening at their place after I was over my illness. The meal we shared was so tasty and I am hoping we didn't over stay our welcome. We left with a dozen freshly laid eggs from "the gals" which I served to my family when they stayed for Thanksgiving. We had a magnificent time with JB and Robert and we are so blessed to have such awesome neighbors. NOW when I hear the Rooster crow I can say "good morning to you too Bob!" With gratitude, Laurie B.

7 comments:

Kate December 1, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

Okay, that's a completely awesome story. Bob the Rooster! And fresh eggs *sighs wistfully*

Anonymous December 2, 2008 at 3:18 AM  

Bob the Rooster must be related to our neighbor, but we do not know his name. He says Good Morning to us everyday!

Blogger December 2, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

What a cool story!!! ;)

My parents used to have a rooster that would sleep in a tree right next to their house and wake them up bright and early every morning, lol.

I have wild turkeys, posted about them yesterday, too funny ;)

Bella

Anonymous December 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

Please stop by my blog when you have a moment, I've left an award for you♥

Patricia Hecker December 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Even though politics between you and your new found friends differ, it was the process of democracy that brought you together.

For more of this unity and community in a sane world and a new paradigm.....

Thanks for sharing.
Sometimes it's our differences that bind us!

Pat

Laurie Roskam December 3, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

Wow Patrica, that is so profound! Thank you SO much for your comments....you're always such an inspiration! With gratitude, Laurie b.

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 7:48 PM  

Well, I would say JB and Robert must also be thanking their stars that they have your family for a neighbor. You are one beautiful person yourself. Your soothing personality shines through your blog. I wish we were neighbors.:)

By the way, I an humbled by your request but please go ahead and quote from my blog. I am honored.

Incidentally, I have just been back from an extended vacation so now maybe I could give my slumbering blog some nudge. LOL

Cheers!

Terry

TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE LOOKING GLASS!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About this Blog

"All images and content of Laurie Beggin's Glass Musings and Through The Looking Glass © 2007 Laurie Beggin, unless otherwise noted."