October 30, 2008

Good Blog- Bad Blog?

Good morning friends, I subscribe to a fairly popular blog that is filled with good information about blogging and the Internet. A couple of days ago the blogger posted on what a good blog is and what a bad blog is. When I read through it the first time I was satisfied with the post. That being said, my brain never lets things rest on the surface. After dwelling on this proposition for a few days I find that I disagree with his take on the issue. I feel that blogs are US. We are all different. We NEED different things. We WANT different things. We need to EXPRESS different things. Blogs that spew ONLY information are not nor should be considered GOOD blogs, nor should blogs that express spiritual opinions, or simply post beautiful photos be considered BAD blogs. Some of us are not information junkies, nor do we feel the need to express opinions in every post. I appreciate blogs that express opinions, even if I don't agree with them. I also appreciate blogs that simply shy away from standing on their soapbox and touch on the lighter, less controversial sides of life. These types of blogs give me a respite from the constant rambling, ranting, and controversy that the instant information age has give us. Informational blogs and visually beautiful blogs are equally appealing to me. One is not BETTER than the other. In closing I would love to hear from my readers on their definition of a good/bad blog. This blogger struck a nerve with me and I'd really enjoy delving into this issue with my readers. If anything, it will keep me on my toes! I am confident we will find that we all crave different things from what we view each day. That fact alone negates the premise that there IS such a thing as a good blog or a bad blog. Feel free to express your opinions here! ALL opinions will be validated and appreciated. I will, however, give this blogger due credit for his post. It's clear it made an impact on me! Above is a picture of my upcoming newspaper coverage which will be in this Sunday's MONEY section. I'm very excited, very blessed, and VERY nervous about the local community exposure. I have yet to "present" myself to the locals in this area and have enjoyed my online commissions so much that I've never felt the need for brick and mortar and person-to-person contact. I am curious as to whether this front page article is going to rock my world or not! Stay tuned!!

5 comments:

TOMAS October 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

Thank you.
Thank you for the post.
Wholeheartedly

Anonymous October 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Oh I agree with you completely Laurie, each blog is different just as each of us is different. When we define a blog are we also assuming that we can define the individual? As artists especially, our individuality sets us apart and makes our work uniquely ours. I guess it all comes down to the proverbial "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as it should be.

Congrats on your debut this weekend, I have no doubt you'll be a welcome addition to the community as you already have been, they just didn't know it. ;-)

Kristen Andrews November 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

I agree I don't think there are bad blogs maybe just blogs that don't appeal to everyone. I think you have to blog about what you enjoy.

Designing Hilary November 3, 2008 at 1:19 PM  

Don't like the taste of turnips?

I agree with your position too! But if we're talking about the same blog, I do find his perspective helpful, even if I don't totally agree.

Laurie Roskam November 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Oh I LOVE turnips! read it every day!!! I'm just a shades-of-gray kinda gal...the good/bad idea was a bit too black/white thinking for me but I do agree that turnip is incredibly helpful and wise in many other regards! Thanks for your post!!!! With gratitude, Laurie B.

TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE LOOKING GLASS!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About this Blog

"All images and content of Laurie Beggin's Glass Musings and Through The Looking Glass © 2007 Laurie Beggin, unless otherwise noted."