July 23, 2008

MY MIND IS IN A TRANSOM

Hi Friends,
There are so many people out there who have fallen head-over-heels in love with Transoms in the old homes throughout the United States. Those lovely, charming, ornaments that sit above the doorways, who's sole purpose was to let air through the house by opening and closing them. Even though their original purpose may have gone by the wayside, even in this day and age we still are drawn to their beauty. I was thinking about this stained glass application awhile back and realized that most of us can't afford a transom in it's original size and shape. After all, they were often times huge! I set my mind to finding and designing patterns that honor the Transom of old, yet are smaller and more affordable. I have been working on my first of a series and will be introducing it in stages. I thought it would be the right opportunity to share with you the steps I take in making my stained glass pieces. Today I'll be sharing STAGE ONE.....
It's a no-brainer really....you either find a pattern or design one yourself. This pattern is the one I chose for my first "Mini Transom". Tomorrow I will be sharing STAGE TWO AND THREE.
So keep your eyes above the doorways of the old homes through this country and abroad....If you see a transom you just can't live without....I'm your go-to artist for a "mini transom" of your very own! With gratitude, Laurie B.

4 comments:

Laura Winslow Godsil July 22, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

I'll add you to my blog roll Laurie. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. You have a cutie for a ghost writer. Love the stained glass. Have a sunny day - the more light the better.

Kristen Andrews July 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

ooh that is too pretty. We have an old home and a neighbor told us that there was some beautful stained glass that the prior owner removed before he moved. I was so bummed!

Pam Hawk July 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

Oh, I just love transoms. My old High School was built pre-WWII and we have transoms above all the doors in the old part of the school.

The libraries in our town and the next town also had transoms but they were always kept shut to keep the sound levels down. Well, ditto for the school transoms too, I guess. My class was extremely noisy. (But that's a whole 'nother story.)

I remember seeing a transom with an stained glass amber fleur de lis pattern on it, similar to your amber fleur de lis. It wasn't at school, of course, but I don't remember where I saw it. I loved how it colored the light that came into the room over the heavy wooden door.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this form!

Laurie Roskam July 23, 2008 at 12:36 PM  

Yes, I'm pretty jazzed about the idea...I'm hoping if someone sees a transom they like the will realize they can get it in a "mini transom" version. I need to post my Stage 2 and 3 today....
Oh, and I'm glad you liked the Techno post. I wasn't sure if I did it right but Sharon said she thinks I did....we shall see!!
Huzs from Me and PRU-PRU!
Laurie B.

TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE LOOKING GLASS!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About this Blog

"All images and content of Laurie Beggin's Glass Musings and Through The Looking Glass © 2007 Laurie Beggin, unless otherwise noted."